Saturday, October 18, 2008

Settlin' into our home

We continue to settle into our new home and get used to being near to one another for more than a few days at a time. So far, no major problems or injuires have happened, so I would say that we're doing okay :)



As for other details, Phil continues to stay busy at work while I continue to perfect my Domestic Diva skills. I have enjoyed using the new kitchen utensils and accessories to mix, bake, stir, whip and cook a lot of new recipes. We've also stayed busy with trips to Home Depot, Target, and Wal-Mart to continue the quest of making this apartment our home.



I did have an exciting week last week as I interviewed for a position in the Special Education classroom at an elementary school. The day after the interview, they offered me the position (thank goodness)! Unfortunately, there has been a lot of confusion with my paperwork, so while they thought I would be in the classroom this past week, I continue to wait for everything to get put in place. Cross your fingers that I'll be a working woman by the end of next week.


In the meantime, I've been perfecting my skills around the house. The biggest accomplishment thus far has been putting together some shelves to go over our fireplace (I'm pretty good with a drill, if I say so myself). We're still putting together our house, but for our first place, it suites us very well (although more kitchen space would be nice...). I also have started swimming with a Master's swim team, as well as volunteering with Special Olympics swimming. It's such a joy to be helping out with a program that serves the population that is so near and dear to my heart. There's only 5 swimmers right now, but each of them has such a great personality and attitude, so I'm loving the 90 minutes that I get to spend with them each week.


Other excitement to the Midland area was that President Bush made a trip here for a fundraiser. Phil was able to go out on the runway and be one of the main people representing the airport. President Bush was here for about 3 hours, but the week leading up to it, Phil was pretty busy talking with Secret Service and other personnel. Being the celebrity that I am at the airport (I am Mrs. Tiedeman, after all!), I was able to go up to the Operations office and see Air Force One land.
Hopefully the next time I write, I will have made a successful transition from Domestic Diva to an employee of the Midland School District :)

No comments: