Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sweet Home Colorado!

This past weekend, Phil and I ventured to the wonderful and amazing state of Colorado for four short, fun-filled days. We arrived Friday morning and unfortunately left Tuesday morning, but I don't think Phil and I could have asked for a better trip.

On Friday, my mom picked us up from the Denver airport and of course, we had to make a stop at the Castle Rock outlets :) Phil was very proud of me, since I didn't do too much damage (I mean, I only came with one bag, so everything had to fit on the way home)! After a few hours of shopping and some lunch, we headed down to the Springs and visited my old working stomping grounds. It was so wonderful to see the TR ladies and just catch up, as brief as it was. They continue to run an amazing program for people with disabilities and I can only hope that they're able to continue with their awesome programs (as some of you know, the City of CO Springs is not in the best shape, so keep your fingers crossed and pray that they're able to be able to provide these beneficial programs in years to come). Friday evening, we headed to the Golden Bee, which is an English Pub located by the Broadmoor (if you haven't been there, it is a must)! While there, we enjoyed food, beer (a full yard for Phil and Tom), sing along with the piano player (see the video below of Bob and Tom participating in one of the sing-a-longs), and great company (some family friends joined us, as well as Tom's girlfriend, Laura).



Saturday, mom and I went walking in the morning and I continue to fall in love with the mountains all over again. We did a route where you can just see the majestic views and continue to be in awe of what God has created there. I think being in Midland has truly taught me what scenery really means and how beautiful things can be. In the afternoon, Phil and Tom saw 'Robin Hood,' while my friend Sarah and I saw 'Sex and the City 2.' It was a decent movie and I'm still debating on if I will purchase it when it comes out; it is definitely not as good as the first movie. That evening, the family headed to a Sky Sox game and unfortunately, had to miss out on the fireworks, as it was too windy (which was okay for mom and I-- we were freezing)!


Sunday, we all went to church and then packed up to head to Boulder. We first had to stop in Golden to take our VIP (!!!) tour of the Coors Brewery. Phil has never been to a brew tour, so his request for this trip was to go on one. Tom, being the awesome brother that he is, knows one of the guys that works there, so we were able to get a great tour. Phil enjoyed learning about how beer is made, but I think trying the beer was a little more enjoyable :) After the tour, we made our way to our hotel and then to dinner to carbo-load. Then, it was early to bed for the big race on Monday!






As always, Bolder Boulder was a blast! This is my third year racing and the first year for Phil. It worked out nicely, as Bob, Tom and myself ran the 10K and Phil, Jean and Jean's friend, Amy, walked the 10K. We all started in the same wave, and the runners finished in 1:03 while the walkers finished in 1:54. I cannot wait to come back next year! We saw so many costumes and groups and it is just such a fun race-- I recommend it for everyone! I think this year they had around 54,000 people. The weather was gorgeous and on the warm side (thankfully, some of the people that have the race around their homes were generous enough to have sprinklers on for us to run through). After the race, we walked around the finish area and got some free food, including these awesome fruit bars that Bryers makes... seriously, after finishing a 10K, they are exactly what a hot and sweaty person needs (as well as the beer that each racer gets in their goody bag)! Then, it was back home to lounge around for a few hours before heading to Red Robin (yum!) for dinner. We had a great waitress (Tom's girlfriend was our server) and the food was delicious. Seriously, if anyone wants to make a boat-load of money, open a Red Robin in Midland (or an Applebees, or a bagel/muffin shop... we're lacking in a lot of restaurant areas). While our food settled into our happy bellies, we returned home and watched 'Law Abiding Citizen,' which some of the ladies that I know had recommended. While it was a good movie, I didn't expect it to be as intense or bloody as it was. But, I would agree with the recommendation.

This morning unfortunately was our time to return to Midland :( We left Colorado with it's very comfortable 80 degree weather and returned to Texas with it's scorching 98 degree weather. This week is supposed to be full of upper 90's/lower 100's... yuck. Summer time is in full swing in Midland.

1 comment:

twitterthisadams said...

LOVE the OUTLET STORES!! I am sooo jealous that you all got to go to Colorado!! <3